Saturday, March 19, 2011

8

I jogged 8 miles today. I like to use the term "jog" instead of "run" due to my speed. :) I won't be winning any races any time soon...but I will finish the 1/2 marathon race in May. Some of you reading this are thinking, what's the big deal running 8 miles? That's not very far. I can run that before breakfast. I am not one of those kind of people. I'm more from the thinking of , why would anyone want to go outside and just run? Run for no reason other than to challenge themselves and sweat like a dog? :) Now if you were to ask me to go outside and play soccer or volleyball, then I am your girl. But run..... no thanks.

Yet running is a discipline that I have come to enjoy. (Especially after my run is over). :) The focus, the determination, setting a goal, the cathartic breathing. I especially love running for my son and the orphans of Rwanda.

WE are doing something that is so important. In the journey of adoption I often feel powerless and NOT in control. We are all working together to do something that is SO POWERFUL. Yet, it is so simple. Help feed kids. I can't thank you enough for coming alongside us with this goal.


Since you're helping the kids of Rwanda, I thought it will be fun from time-to-time to share information about this wonderful country.

Have you found Rwanda on the map yet? Doesn't it seem small?! Rwanda's 10.2 million people live in an area smaller than Maryland. There is an estimated 1 million orphans in Rwanda. The high population density is due partly to a tradition of large families, and partly to Rwanda's highland location as a place of refuge for people fleeing the colonial-era slave trade.

French, Kinyarwanda, and English are Rwanda's official languages. English was added in 1995 to accomodate refugees from English-speaking nations. All Rwandans speak Kinyarwanda. It is a tonal language that has the same alphabet as English except for the letters q and x.

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Eight sounds like a long run to me. I usually only run 2.5 to 3, 3x per week. I'm not training for anything, for me it's just exercise. Yeah for eight! I can't imagine running half a marathon! I saw that you're paperwork made it to Rwanda, that's really exciting. Hope that it get's processed quickly!!!! I'm off to run before church.

    ReplyDelete