Monday, March 22, 2010

Sticky

There are a few questions that some of you may be wondering about but feel it would be rude or intrusive to ask. I am one of those kinds of people....I like to know. :) Here are a few "sticky" questions and my answers. It's my opinion and my life - so I can't get the answers wrong, right?

Are we not able to have more biological children? (some have already asked this one.... - don't worry - not offended).
Yes - we are able to have biological children. Have had no problems getting pregnant. Have had great pregnancies and healthy babies.

Why would you adopt then? Why not do a domestic adoption as opposed to an international adoption - there are so many kids right here in USA that need good homes? (yes, someone has asked me this!)
This question evokes in me a great emotional response. I would come back with a question.... Great - you see the need is there - what are YOU doing about it? I would love to engage in a conversation about our call as God's people to help the orphans and the widows. Maybe God is giving you eyes to see this need/hurt in the world and providing a passionate way for you to get involved?
I've never been on my knees more before the Lord than through this adoption experience. I don't know how people who don't have a faith adopt.(I know they can and do, I just don't know how they do it!) I have leaned so hard on my Jesus. It's a call. It's a desire to seek out where and how the Lord wants to use me. All of me. Josh and I listened to the call that was placed on our family. Is it tough at times - sure. But deeper that that is a peace and strength that the Lord gives us and a great love and desire to raise our son.

Adoption is expense...how much is it?
Ahhh, money. If only we had a money tree,right! Adoption through an agency can cost anywhere between 20,000-50,000 smackers, depending on the country and the agency you use. Have you heard the saying, God funds what He favors? Love it. Our adoption will cost roughly 20,000-25,000. Yikes. (btw- feels funny telling everyone how much it costs - just want to be open and honest).

Are you nervous about having a multi-ethnic family?
No. Back when we were considering adopting from Rwanda I had the thought about my son struggling when he was a little older with his identity. Will he struggle with the fact that he is dark and his parents and sisters are white? I felt like the answer is that we are called to find our identity in Christ, not in people or the color of their skin. I pray that my girls find this same identity. I do think we need to be aware and place ourselves in strategic areas where there are people of all colors, shapes, and sizes. :) I will encourage all my children to find their identity in Jesus alone.

hey - you can ask...doesn't mean I'll answer. :)
peace out-

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet Becca, I love you. I loved reading about your journey thus far and will love to keep reading.

    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete